Farming Changes addon (Requesting Permission.)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
JakeZKAM

Farming Changes addon (Requesting Permission.)

Post by JakeZKAM »

Currently I am requesting permission to make this add-on and I figured it would be best to ask permission first before actually doing it.

So an overview of what I want to make in this add-on,

1. New and different farming methods for old and new crops while still keeping late game farming setups (Planters, BD's, and Pistons) still viable. For example mud is probably the first thing I want to add, allowing growth of certain crops and improving others.

2. Changes to wild animal behavior while still allowing through lots of work to selectively breed out the animals we already have. Specifically making animals much more dangerous and difficult to hunt, while upping the benefit from hunting them. This also adds in domestication of wild animals, which is a long yet rewarding process.

3. New food types and methods of feeding oneself.

4. Seasonal and environmental changes to further make farming difficult, and varied. This is the last thing I hope to add and will be pretty damn hard for me to do. I'm new at Java so it's all going to be taken one step at a time, yet this is probably the core part of the add-on that I want to take as much time as I need to to get it right.

I hope I can get permission to make this, and thank you.
Yhetti

Re: Farming Changes addon (Requesting Permission.)

Post by Yhetti »

Dude I've wanted to see this, I started to make something kinda like this a while back but I never finished it. The Deco Add-on already has grape vines and (I haven't released it yet but) corn crops, would we be able to make some sort of comparability or cooperation?

I've not really ever liked how the crop system doesn't make sense, the way you get seeds and harvest crops, etc.
I also was going to implement Silt, and I guess that is the same thing as mud(generated from rivers occasionally, craftable).

This is a really cool idea for an Add-on.

Edit: also, I was going to post my code for extending block IDs and etc which you may want to consider, as we are running out of ID's very quickly.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

That's one thing I've worried about for a long time and It's been the reason I've been putting off jumping into this. I barely know Java in the first place, and with limited time to make something like this/figure it out I haven't wanted to try. But now that BTW is getting close to finished I decided to try it again and make the addon I've wanted for awhile.

And sure thing man, I'd love to see what we can do to try and work somthing out. I love the grapevines by the way haha.

As far as mud goes I'd like to leave Terrain Gen alone for now and instead make it a craftable recipe using a Bucket, Dirt, and Bonemeal to give more uses to Water buckets themselves.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

JakeZKAM wrote:That's one thing I've worried about for a long time and It's been the reason I've been putting off jumping into this. I barely know Java in the first place, and with limited time to make something like this/figure it out I haven't wanted to try. But now that BTW is getting close to finished I decided to try it again and make the addon I've wanted for awhile.

And sure thing man, I'd love to see what we can do to try and work somthing out. I love the grapevines by the way haha.

As far as mud goes I'd like to leave Terrain Gen alone for now and instead make it a craftable recipe using a Bucket, Dirt, and Bonemeal to give more uses to Water buckets themselves.
You can modify the dirt class to make it randomly turn to silt/mud near rivers. Yeah I don't want to touch worldgen either. Poke me on the nothing nothing nothing and I'll relay some things to you that I thought about a couple minutes ago while I was taking a crap.
Last edited by Yhetti on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I'll pop right on over to irc then :)
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

JakeZKAM wrote:As far as mud goes I'd like to leave Terrain Gen alone for now and instead make it a craftable recipe using a Bucket, Dirt, and Bonemeal to give more uses to Water buckets themselves.
The dirt Planter recipe used to have a water bucket like this, but it was changed to help mass crafting. If this is intended to be used pre-kiln (planter), most won't have more than one or two buckets to save iron. Do water bottles stack to 8 or is it just potions?
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Water Bottles Stack but that ruins the point. It's to make a water bucket more useful in terms of farming other than just for milk. I could always just make it 1 water bucket, 1 Bonemeal, and the rest of the slots filled with dirt to allow 8 mud to be created with each bucket. However I don't really want to encourage automation with mud, it is not a late game tool, more of a midgame one.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think that both learning java and attempting to make changes that will likely touch upon a lot of the same base classes that I do for your first experience with modding is rather overly ambitious.

Look, I'll give you permission and all if you really want to get into this, but I'd really ask you to consider whether you're biting off more than you can chew here and just wasting everyone's time as a result.

I'd ask you to keep in mind that I'm not trying to create a platform here for general mod development. Just a way for people that already know what they're doing and who are passionate about expanding upon BTW gameplay to do so if they so choose. It's not easy, it's not clean, I provide very little in the way of support, I'm already running into problems created by people that are abusing my openness towards supporting add-ons which is continually damaging my already limited desire to provide support for them, and I really don't want to turn either these forums or the IRC channel into a support network for inexperienced modders.

Anyways man, I'd just ask you to consider whether this is something you really want to be doing, and are actually capable of doing, before taking this further.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I understand man, and yes I really want to get into this. It's something I want to personally play and develop, and as I myself want to be a full fledged game designer someday I gotta start somewhere. Also I wont be clogging up the forums or IRC asking for beginner tips or support, that's just rude and I'd rather learn it on my own. In the end it's one step at a time and why I want to work on simple things first (Mud, Plants, food items) and then move on to the more complicated things after I get that figured out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, sorry man, but after thinking this through a bit, I really don't want to be giving out any more permissions for the reasons I just posted in the copyright notice thread.

This add-on thing started as something that I was doing out of a good natured desire to help people out that were interested in doing this kind of thing, but unfortunately the abuse of that openness on my part has thoroughly soured the desire I had to do so and it's really just become an unwelcome distraction for me.

Anyways, my apologies that you just happened to be the one on the border where I finally said "no". It's absolutely nothing personal, I just hadn't received a request like this in awhile now, and it highlighted for me how I'm feeling about this whole thing.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I understand man, well I'll wait until a further time if you change your mind. Sorry add-ons have been such an issue and I hope it clears up.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote:I understand man, well I'll wait until a further time if you change your mind. Sorry add-ons have been such an issue and I hope it clears up.
Thanks man, I really appreciate you being understanding about this.