[1.5.2] [4.891124] Biomes O' Plenty 0.1.3 - BTW Edition

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Mud

Re: [1.5.2] [4.891124] Biomes O' Plenty 0.1.3 - BTW Edition

Post by Mud »

It thrills me to return to BTW and find this patch has finally become a reality. Sadly I waited a bit too long and BTW updated again before I could snag the compatible version.

A bit more waiting wont kill me, Nice work!
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

pfc calico wrote:thanks for the speedy reply.

yes i did convert to the latest release, will try will previous versions that i downloaded.

saw the universal part of your change log on github and thought it fully implemented as FC hasn't touched world gen since villages and temples.

forgive my ignorance thinking that as FC had not changed anything to do with world gen that you would not really have to change anything with your add-on.

cannot wait to try this out as exploration has been dry at best using vanilla world gen, and PK uses it for the chunk he has generated on the server i play.
Probably needed to clarify this better but, by universal i meant that i could make portions of the code only once and it'd automatically be put on both the client and server.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

For those interested, started on my "Soulforge" patcher api thing, it's coming along smoothly so far, about midway through fixing up the add-on dev scripts and then need to fix the patcher itself to account for custom binary patches.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Soulforge is done! Will be releasing a version of BOP BTW for it shortly. In the meantime, if anyone is interested, Snip until further notice
Last edited by Adubbz on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Soulforge 0.0.1 for Better Than Wolves 4.89113
A patcher/API for Better Than Wolves that allows developers to patch classes that FlowerChild has modified as well as add hooks that other mods who use Soulforge can use in common.

Snip until further notice

Biomes O Plenty 0.1.3 for Better Than Wolves 4.89113 and Soulforge 0.0.1
No new changes for this release, aside from Better Than Wolves 4.89113 and Soulforge 0.0.1 support.

Snip until further notice

The new instructions for patching are as follows:
  • Place the BTW zip file inside the 'btw' folder
  • Place the 'biomesoplenty' folder from the BOPBTW zip file into the Soulforge patcher's mods folder
  • Run soulforgepatcher.jar
  • Use the outputted BTWMod-BOP-Patched.zip file in the created patchedzip folder as you would as if it was just installing BTW regularly.
Please let me know if this works or not, i don't want it to end up like last time where it only stops working when i officially release it >_>
Last edited by Adubbz on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey dude, I'm not particularly keen on having this kind of general purpose API available for BTW. I'd prefer if you took down the link to the thing and not pass it around until we have a chance to talk about this in private.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Sorry about that man, didn't think it'd be too much of a problem but in reflection, it's a rather daft move on my part without bringing it up with yourself. Definitely something I wish to talk to you about sometime though, whether it be via PM or IRC or what have you.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'll address it quickly here since I suspect it's likely of interest to others:

I DO NOT want to be encouraging further add-on development. It's become a big-time unwanted distraction to the point where I'm regretting providing any support for it whatsoever in the past and not obfuscating my code. Thus, I certainly don't want to encourage others to take it up through easy availability of tools to facilitate it or what have you as that is likely to only exasperate the issue.

If you wish to share such a tool amongst existing add-on authors so that you guys can have some kind of standard to make your lives easier, I am cool with that, but please do so privately through IRC or what have you, only do so with authors that have already received permission to develop, don't publicly distribute the source, and please for the love of the gods change the name to something non forge related so I don't feel like I'm being trolled every time I see it :)

In general, I ask developers to keep add-on development cool and low key. I just don't want to hear about it anymore due to the ongoing distraction it has become, and I certainly don't want it becoming a bigger "thing" than it already is.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Ah, thanks for that clarification man, thought I was in deep shit.

I'll start with the name, it was intended to be rather tongue in cheek, and was expecting either a love or hate situation with regards to your reaction. But in any case, I'm happy to change it if its bothering you :P

Happy to keep the source of it low key by all means, which prevents unwanted mod devs from being able to do anything useful with it unless they jump through horrific hoops. However, I will be needing to distribute a compiled patcher that is practically the same as what I currently distribute if that's fine with you.

All in all, I'm happy to keep it low key if that's how you wish, I by no means wanted to piss you off with this at all. With the name, just wanted a laugh :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Adubbz wrote:Ah, thanks for that clarification man, thought I was in deep shit.
No not at all man. I have absolutely nothing against you or the other existing add-on developers, and you have my apologies that I've become so anal about it. It's just a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch and unfortunately souring my taste for the whole thing. There was a point where almost every new release I was putting out had additional hooks to make things easier for you guys, and where add-on development was fun, low pressure, and cool, but with recent events I've become so thoroughly fed up with the whole thing that my desire to provide such ongoing support has pretty much evaporated, and I really just don't want to hear about it anymore if at all possible.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a game desiger/mod author, NOT an API developer. Having my work be used as some kind of basis for a modding community and the apparent hassle that goes along with that just isn't of interest to me and thus only serves as an unwanted distraction.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

One quick question i have is regarding distributing Soulforge in a seperate thread. This would be useful to both myself/other addon devs who decide to use it so it's less of a BOPBTW only thing. Of course, it'd only contain links for the user version and will have a section regarding accessing the source for it.

Thanks a lot man for being understanding of this, was quite surprised when you said it would be acceptable at all even under certain conditions.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I keepgetting a file not found error from the patcher, and yes I AM putting the BTW zip in the btw folder, it says that it can't find the files within the btw-temp folder. I don't know what i could be doing wrong. I tried again with the newer version of BTW, and it worked (although I know it will crash if i try to play it with btw), but if it's looking for the proper btw version that shouldn't be the case. Is the patcher selecting the proper version of BTW? or did i just do something insanely stupid?

Edit: ok, I think i've found the problem. The patcher moves the btw zip into the btw-temp file directly, instead of moving the MINECRAFT-JAR file over to that file. which means that it's looking through the first directory layer for files that are in the next layer.

edit2: and when you account for that it works perfectly...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Adubbz wrote:One quick question i have is regarding distributing Soulforge in a seperate thread. This would be useful to both myself/other addon devs who decide to use it so it's less of a BOPBTW only thing. Of course, it'd only contain links for the user version and will have a section regarding accessing the source for it.
No man, please don't. I realize it's a hassle, but if you're going to do something like this, just distribute it with the mods themselves. As far as the end user is concerned, I'd prefer they don't even know this thing exists.

I'll reiterate that stuff like this is precisely what I don't want to deal with right now.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

I'm happy to keep it in this thread if I need to man, but the trouble is, with the nature of what I physically distribute as the 'API' being moreso a patcher that other addons put their own folders containing patches and code in, it's extremely impractical to distribute it with the mods themselves.

To put things into perspective, it's like distributing MCPatcher with Better Than Wolves despite it being used for other things as well.

I really don't want to seem as if I'm ignoring what your saying man about not wanting mods to become a hassle on your end man, cause I certainly do understand, I just don't want it to turn into more of an inconvenience to use for those who do choose to.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If it's impractical: then don't do it.

I really don't want to go this route man, but if add-ons continue to be an ongoing distraction, I will shut them down completely and do everything I can to make modding BTW inconvenient. Each message I get or debate with regards to them pushes me one step closer in that direction.

Again, to be clear: I do not want to be hassled with this any further. If that makes creating or maintaining a BTW add-on problematic, then don't continue to do so. Find another hobby. Mod another game/mod. Do what you got to do, but please cease occupying my time and distracting me from what I enjoy doing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, let's clear something up here: why are you making a BTW add-on?

To my knowledge, you were not a BTW player before making this thing. So what motivated you to do this?
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, let's clear something up here: why are you making a BTW add-on?

To my knowledge, you were not a BTW player before making this thing. So what motivated you to do this?
Not a player, no, but a follower. And i decided that if i was to play BTW, i would at least want to play with Biomes O Plenty in some form (Since i'm a developer for the Forge version).
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

FlowerChild wrote:If it's impractical: then don't do it.

I really don't want to go this route man, but if add-ons continue to be an ongoing distraction, I will shut them down completely and do everything I can to make modding BTW inconvenient. Each message I get or debate with regards to them pushes me one step closer in that direction.

Again, to be clear: I do not want to be hassled with this any further. If that makes creating or maintaining a BTW add-on problematic, then don't continue to do so. Find another hobby. Mod another game/mod. Do what you got to do, but please cease occupying my time and distracting me from what I enjoy doing.
Up to you man, last proposal i have is to keep them both separate, although in the downloaded zip file for Biomes O Plenty BTW. Which would make everyone need to download BOPBTW, in order to use the patcher.

If not, happy to take your advice and go back to the Forge version full-time. But in any case, it's been a pleasure developing this addon for your fine mod/total conversion. Getting into a debate wastes both my time and yours as you've pointed out, and serves as a distraction from being productive for both of us.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Asking the same question in five different ways trying to get a different answer isn't going to accomplish anything other than piss me off man. I explained myself and my stance on this very clearly the first time.

Do what you want with this add-on, and enjoy your vacation.
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

Am i correct in assuming that with this latest development, I should just trash my world and start fresh without BOP to enjoy what u have in store for us with the latest update, FC?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nikkentobi wrote:Am i correct in assuming that with this latest development, I should just trash my world and start fresh without BOP to enjoy what u have in store for us with the latest update, FC?
That's up to Adu man. If he wants to continue developing BTW BOP after he gets back from his vacation it's his choice, just as long as his development doesn't cause me any further grief/hassle.

I will say though that if game balance is important to you, relying on the design skills of someone who hadn't even played BTW until recently to determine the overall form of your world, might be something worthy of consideration. Consider the amount of work I've put into trying to balance various biomes as of late and I think you'll have an idea of why this is important. If that kind of thing isn't important to you, then it's probably worth asking why you're playing BTW in the first place, as if variety is what you desire the most, you can likely get way more of that through Forge mods.

In general though, I will remind people that I am thoroughly sick of hearing about add-ons right now. If you choose to use them, that's entirely at your own risk and not something I really support. Please don't pester me about them, or the consequences of any decisions players make to use them.
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

Read you loud and clear, chief :)

Your notes about the game balance does ring true...
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

Don't give up Adubbz! Hang in there and keep developing. This world generation really makes exploring minecraft interesting and fun.

Thank you for the time and effort you have put in this far.
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Agreed. Adubbz when your vacation is over, please consider staying here and continuing to make the addon. Everyone on Leviathan still appreciates the work you do regardless of what transpired here.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

I agree with the above two people :) BOP adds so much in terms of biome variation it'd be a shame to lose it ):

Making a giant tree house in a forest of giant trees in amazing :) things like that make this add on awesome ^^
Rawr :D