Mediate discussion

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
utakataJ6

Mediate discussion

Post by utakataJ6 »

I'm only opening this up generally because I don't want to violate the pm-rule, if it's still in effect.

Flowerchild, let's set the base classes aside for a moment. As I mentioned on the mediate front page, I'm an avid, avid player of Better Than Wolves, which comes before almost anything else. I've nothing but respect for everything the mod has done, and is doing, and nothing is going to change that.

Still, Mediate Craft was my addition, my new twist, which I'd thought fit right alongside better than wolves. I didn't even consider that re-releasing base classes from Mojang - which, in the case of say EntityPlayer, had percentage-wise very little BTW code - would still be breaking the rule about reposting BTW classes. It seemed little different than the use of forge itemsprites.

I understand the rule about your code. In the past, I'd offered to have you host my compatibility-edited millstone code, and when that failed, I simply never tried to make changes to any FC files. The breach onto Mojang's classes was intentional, of course, but not with the negative-connotation intent of "redistributing" your files. Those base classes don't do anything without BTW. BTW has no integrity compromised by the release of Mediate, with or without my base-class edits. They aren't any more or less accessible because I've obfuscated them.

Still, barring all of that, my desire is to be able to share a mod which I've invested over a hundred hours of code-time and far, far more planning into; a mod which I've been working on since little more than a few days after the release of the first version of better than wolves (as shown on the minecraft forums op), with other desiring players. That and to not have emnity between us. I have no intention of starting any kind of heated discussion. Worst case scenario I go back to simply playing BTW as much as ever.

Nonetheless, I would consider that more than a bit of a sacrifice. I hope you are willing to discuss some of this.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Mediate discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

If you think about the precedent this would be setting I think you'll see why I can't allow it.

As for the Forge code in BTW, I am following the Forge license in its use. You were not following mine. Not the same thing.

I do not want to kill your mod, and you'll notice that I didn't even temp-ban you for this when I normally would have given someone an immediate and permanent boot for redistributing mod files. I know your heart is in the right place, even if I'm not particularly pleased that you chose to just go ahead and do this instead of talking to me about it, when you seem well aware that it would be an issue.

I didn't put the hook thread in the add-on forum for my health man. If you need hooks to make things happen: then use it. I can certainly understand the time investment required to put a mod together, but hopefully you can also understand and respect the rules under which I release my own work to the public.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

FlowerChild wrote:If you think about the precedent this would be setting I think you'll see why I can't allow it.

As for the Forge code in BTW, I am following the Forge license in its use. You were not following mine. Not the same thing.

I do not want to kill your mod, and you'll notice that I didn't even temp-ban you for this when I normally would have given someone an immediate and permanent boot for redistributing mod files. I know your heart is in the right place, even if I'm not particularly pleased that you chose to just go ahead and do this instead of talking to me about it, when you seem well aware that it would be an issue.

I didn't put the hook thread in the add-on forum for my health man. If you need hooks to make things happen: then use it. I can certainly understand the time investment required to put a mod together, but hopefully you can also understand and respect the rules under which I release my own work to the public.
Yes, I absolutely recognize the significance of these things - including that you didn't immediately ban me.
If you unlock the main thread, I will take all of this into account, and not post another DL until there are no redone classes. Either way, thanks for even taking the time to address all this personally and specifically.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I'd be happy to unlock your thread now that I know we're on the same page.

And I'm serious about the hook thing man. Put together a list of what you need, put in a request, and within reason I'll do my best to accommodate what you need for your mod to get you back up and running again.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Greatly appreciated. And now I can see there's really not all that much conflicting code, either. Back to work, then~
morvelaira:
flowerchild: