BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
kaos78414

Re: Working on a BTW addon

Post by kaos78414 »

orangeweaver wrote:How the hell did you get a pet squirrel?
My roommates coworker found it. It's about 4-6 weeks old - I'm guessing the mother thought it was about time he moved out of the house hehe.
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Will they be pet squirrels? If no, very cool, ambient fauna you can't actually interact with would make mc a much more lively world.

Otherwise I'd suggest being very careful how far you would want to go with it. Just making it stick around in an area and following you if you hold an item is good enough, you wouldn't want to run in the save design and implementation problems mojang did with wolves and cats ;]
Yeah I just want them to be woodland creatures you mostly can't interact with. Just for the vibe. Maybe they'll follow the player if you're holding seeds. But I found this mod called Atmosmobs (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/112 ... tmosphere/) that already adds squirrels. It adds fireflies too! And they are implemented just like mine, except I don't think you can capture them with a net. I don't know though, I might add my squirrels anyway, just because.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Um, not to be a downer but I have never known a wild animal taken in as an infant that didn't grow up mean. Domestication takes generations.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this addon. What you have so far looks excellent.
Better is the enemy of Good
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

So I hate to keep teasing you guys, but every little thing I add makes me all giddy so I just gotta share :P

http://imgur.com/a/LLcgJ#0

The first picture is just a shot of a cherry blossom canopy over a pavement path I made. The second, fourth and fifth shots show a little bit of the lantern placement (which still has some issues, but placement code is annoyingly tedious). Also, the fireflies are now completed and working as intended, and capturing them with the net works. The net has 64 uses before it breaks. I tried out firefly hunting in survival and I thought it was fun (albeit a bit dangerous :))

The recipes for everything currently sits as follows:
Cherry Sapling = 1 dung, 1 pink dye, and 1 sapling in the crafting table.
Firefly Lantern = 1 Firefly in the center, wood moulding on the top, bottom and sides (corners are empty)
Pavement = Gravel and bonemeal in a non-stoked stewing pot (I wanted to incorporate the cement bucket, but I thought that might be too expensive for such a basic block)
Net = "--F", "-SF", "SFF", where F is hemp fiber and S is stick and - is empty

Cherry leaves can be gathered with shears (but not the fallen leaves just yet)

I have a few ideas for other themes of aesthetics I'd like to add, the first being water-themed decor, like driftwood and seaweed. Feel free to suggest water-themed blocks or mobs you might like to see.

Anyway again, sorry for the teaser :P
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

That looks really really awesome. I love the idea of catching fireflies to make the firefly lanterns. What light level will they emit?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

rhacer wrote:That looks really really awesome. I love the idea of catching fireflies to make the firefly lanterns. What light level will they emit?
They're just under torches :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

kaos78414 wrote:Words
You big tease ;)
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

That stuff looks great :)
Definitely going to try it.

About the water themed things: are you thinking of ponds, lakes, rivers, the sea? Because if you want to take that all on, you might get quite some work, as especially ocean biomes are terribly lifeless and boring right now. (My base is a glass bubble in the ocean, and all I ever see outside are squids stuck on the ground)
So what I'd "need" right now are some colorful fish(es?) that can actually swim. And maybe corals or something like that.
Then again, those would probably be pretty off in a small lake...

Ah well I'm kinda rambling, and it's your mod... Did I mention it looks great?
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

Looks good, can't wait to use it.

I am curious if you have any plans to make it available for use with vanilla recipes after you complete it as an add-on? I have a few mod setups and an LP I'd love to be able to use this for.

Thanks, keep up the awesome work!
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Jay42 wrote:About the water themed things: are you thinking of ponds, lakes, rivers, the sea? Because if you want to take that all on, you might get quite some work, as especially ocean biomes are terribly lifeless and boring right now. (My base is a glass bubble in the ocean, and all I ever see outside are squids stuck on the ground)
So what I'd "need" right now are some colorful fish(es?) that can actually swim. And maybe corals or something like that.
Then again, those would probably be pretty off in a small lake...

Ah well I'm kinda rambling, and it's your mod... Did I mention it looks great?
I think oceans mostly. Driftwood, seaweed, coral and visible fishies are what I had in mind so far. I want the fish to be catchable with the net, and can be placed back in water. This would allow you to create fish tanks. But this part is still just an idea, so we'll what happens when I come to it. I'm glad you like it btw :)
Nazara wrote:I am curious if you have any plans to make it available for use with vanilla recipes after you complete it as an add-on? I have a few mod setups and an LP I'd love to be able to use this for.
No. Mostly because I don't want to worry about compatibility with mods besides BTW, but also because I never play vanilla. I'd rather not have two different sets of recipes anyway.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

So you can catch a small number of fireflies in nets manually, which is nice, but not in the spirit of the mod. We need a way to harvest the bodies and souls of these dragonflies in vast quantities, so that we can decorate our houses with the light of the dead. :)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

The great randomo wrote:So you can catch a small number of fireflies in nets manually, which is nice, but not in the spirit of the mod. We need a way to harvest the bodies and souls of these dragonflies in vast quantities, so that we can decorate our houses with the light of the dead. :)
I'm not sure if I want the catching of fireflies to be automate-able. But that's something I'll keep in mind for future additions.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

With the leaves piling on the ground like that you've gotten a definite download, even if I'll have 2 different cherry blossom trees.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I absolutely love the lights that don't take up a full cubic meter of space. Are you planning to make piled leaves gatherable so they can be placed like vine traps?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

DaveYanakov wrote:I absolutely love the lights that don't take up a full cubic meter of space. Are you planning to make piled leaves gatherable so they can be placed like vine traps?
Yes they will be able to be gathered with shears :)

However, I'm not sure if I'll go so far as to make them function like the vine traps - I might though. I just haven't looked into that just yet.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Please don't. The texture looks great repurposed, but logically a pile of leaves shouldn't function that way and we've already got the vine trap for that purpose. If I gave them any purpose, it would be as a source of pink dye.

Actually, one of the reasons I never used ExtraBiomesXL was that while you could gather all the different color flowers, you couldn't make dye from them. The whole function of vanilla flowers is as dye, why wouldn't additional flowers also give dye?

This leads me to ask, what color wood do the trees drop?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Please don't. The texture looks great repurposed, but logically a pile of leaves shouldn't function that way and we've already got the vine trap for that purpose. If I gave them any purpose, it would be as a source of pink dye.

Actually, one of the reasons I never used ExtraBiomesXL was that while you could gather all the different color flowers, you couldn't make dye from them. The whole function of vanilla flowers is as dye, why wouldn't additional flowers also give dye?

This leads me to ask, what color wood do the trees drop?
It's the darkest plank currently, but that's subject to change.

As to dyes, I actually had some ideas for adding flowers - but since you'd have to craft them because I don't want to affect world gen, it might make getting dyes from them pointless. Unless I find some way to allow automate-able production of said flowers... hmmm *brainstorming*

The flowers I planned on adding and the dyes they produce are: cornflower (cyan), azaleas (pink), lavender (purple), birds of paradise (orange), hyacinth (light blue), and yucca (lime green). That too is just a rough idea and is subject to change.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Only current way to reasonably get them without crafting would be if you could tie it into the planter, adding them as a random flower result to the existing red and yellow ones. Or you could make your own block to cultivate them.

That said, I wouldn't mind them being a crafting result. Just having more options colour-wise would be nice so don't feel obligated to add in more than you want to.
The great randomo

Maybe they could appear when you bonemeal the ground?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

DaveYanakov wrote:Only current way to reasonably get them without crafting would be if you could tie it into the planter, adding them as a random flower result to the existing red and yellow ones. Or you could make your own block to cultivate them.

That said, I wouldn't mind them being a crafting result. Just having more options colour-wise would be nice so don't feel obligated to add in more than you want to.
Yeah I'm mostly leaning towards simpler is better for now. This is very much a learn-as-you-go process for me, so it's best if I keep things simple where I can :)
The great randomo wrote:Maybe they could appear when you bonemeal the ground?
I think that would require a base class modification, and I'm going to steer clear of those. I'll probably just start with a crafting table solution, and move from there.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

kaos78414 wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:Only current way to reasonably get them without crafting would be if you could tie it into the planter, adding them as a random flower result to the existing red and yellow ones. Or you could make your own block to cultivate them.

Yeah I'm mostly leaning towards simpler is better for now. This is very much a learn-as-you-go process for me, so it's best if I keep things simple where I can :)
The great randomo wrote:Maybe they could appear when you bonemeal the ground?
I think that would require a base class modification, and I'm going to steer clear of those. I'll probably just start with a crafting table solution, and move from there.
Why not make a special item that sometimes gives you those flowers when you use it on tall grass? That wouldn't involve any base class modifications :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Disclaimer: I know nothing about java coding.

Empty planters randomly spawn flowers right? Can you add your planters and add a chance for it to grow in an empty planter without directly modifying the planter itself?
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

What I could imagine would be a system similar to the mushrooms. That is, you craft & plant one flower, which then spreads slowly & randomly to any appropriate space nearby. No world gen modding needed and detector-based farming is possible + profitable. However I'm not sure how easy that would be to code.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

This looks very promising ! Congrats to you man for being creative and make us enjoy it !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
The great randomo

Can I make a suggestion for a block please?
Is there any chance you could add in another variation of wooden planks for blood wood? I think that would be a nice addition to this mainly aesthetic mod.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

@all the flower growing suggestions: I'm going to stick with a crafting table recipe for the short term. I think I have an idea for the long term, but we'll see when I come to that :)
Gormador wrote:This looks very promising ! Congrats to you man for being creative and make us enjoy it !
The great randomo wrote:Can I make a suggestion for a block please?
Is there any chance you could add in another variation of wooden planks for blood wood? I think that would be a nice addition to this mainly aesthetic mod.
Blood-covered planks ? Nah, but that gives me an idea for a horror themed portion of the mod :P