BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
DaveYanakov

Re: Working on a BTW addon

Post by DaveYanakov »

kaos78414 wrote:
The great randomo wrote:Can you add recipies to the saw?
Are you planning to add any new sidings, mouldings and corners, such as glowstone?
No, unfortunately I can't (at least, it looks like I can't - keep in mind I'm still fairly new to modding). But I don't think I'd want to get much into microblocks anyhow. But we'll see. If it really makes sense somewhere, I'll consider it. :)
FC also has his own plans for this sort of thing. Have patience, randomo.
Better is the enemy of Good
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Runesmith wrote:Whenever you choose to release the addon, I'd be happy to put out some 32x32 hd textures for it if anyone is interested. I've already got some for barrels, cherry tree leaves, and a sweet skull candle.
That's awesome! May I ask what style they are? I'm quite fond of doku-style textures myself.
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

Conveniently enough, they'd be Doku-based and compatible. They'd fit right in with Battosay's texture pack.

I'll probably post a few screen shots and .pngs's for some of the textures I use and made later this week.

Just bear with me that, being Doku based, even the ones I made from scratch aren't terribly original in style or design..
"First immortality... then the bitches."
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Kaos78414, it all looks so beautiful so far, keep up the good work, I'm impressed!
However, it just makes me wish I knew how to code ... :P
I'm a big fan of all things Japanese (as you may gleam from my name) :).
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Panda

Post by Panda »

kaos78414 wrote:
Runesmith wrote:Whenever you choose to release the addon, I'd be happy to put out some 32x32 hd textures for it if anyone is interested. I've already got some for barrels, cherry tree leaves, and a sweet skull candle.
That's awesome! May I ask what style they are? I'm quite fond of doku-style textures myself.
ohh my friend i have already been secretely plotting to give your mod my intimate doku touch since the moment i saw it. ; )
Never say no to Panda.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Panda wrote:ohh my friend i have already been secretely plotting to give your mod my intimate doku touch
Spoiler
Show
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Panda wrote:ohh my friend i have already been secretely plotting to give your mod my intimate doku touch since the moment i saw it. ; )
For that I made you a teaser of the bees :)
Spoiler
Show
EDIT: I'm too hungover to code right now, and that makes me sad :(
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

no matter how dunk I get I never get hung over. also, the bees look amazing.
And HOW!
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:no matter how dunk I get I never get hung over. also, the bees look amazing.
Wait a second.. in another post didn't you say you were 17?

You did!
@kaos I am 17. my music choices are what they are because my parents listened to that kind of music, and I ended up falling in love with it.
Caught! :P

EDIT: Oh and thank you :)
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

This looks awesome, and just watching it progress a bit over the course of this thread has made me even more excited. I'll definitely be downloading this when you release it, great work so far!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

kaos78414 wrote:Wait a second.. in another post didn't you say you were 17?

You did!

So conflicted. It's not my business, but my lawful good side wants me to go all disapproving mom...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

morvelaira wrote:
kaos78414 wrote:Wait a second.. in another post didn't you say you were 17?

You did!

So conflicted. It's not my business, but my lawful good side wants me to go all disapproving mom...
And my chaotic good wants me to point out that it would be quite ironic considering how much you love your stockpile of scotch :P.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Poppycocks wrote:And my chaotic good wants me to point out that it would be quite ironic considering how much you love your stockpile of scotch :P.
Where's the irony? I love my scotch, but aside from religious ceremonies, I never had alcohol until I was 22.
Zottel

Post by Zottel »

Hopefully I do not annoy anyone with this question, but will be an addon for btw (or rather this addon) compatible with better then buildcraft (if, some day, there is a buildcraft release for mc 1.2.5 so that btb can be updated)?
Sorry for my bad english....i am not a native speaker :(
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Zottel wrote:Hopefully I do not annoy anyone with this question, but will be an addon for btw (or rather this addon) compatible with better then buildcraft (if, some day, there is a buildcraft release for mc 1.2.5 so that btb can be updated)?
I don't really play with BTB, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with it. (assuming there are no ID conflicts, which there shouldn't be when I actually release this add-on)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

morvelaira wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:And my chaotic good wants me to point out that it would be quite ironic considering how much you love your stockpile of scotch :P.
Where's the irony? I love my scotch, but aside from religious ceremonies, I never had alcohol until I was 22.
Yeah, I was guessing as much and that's why I've said Irony, not Hypocrisy. Just saying that it doesn't taste any worse if you're younger :P.

But yeah, I'm getting what you mean as well, don't worry, I'm not trying to propagate teen drinking.

Unless you're trying to hit Ballmer Peak, then it's ok.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Okay. That's fine and all. I still fail to see the irony. Unless, of course, irony does not mean what you think it means.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Well it's more the case of a wide gap irony. Or irony by proxy if you would.

I wouldn't overanalize it, it was meant as a friendly jab :). Although not a very good one.
Panda

Post by Panda »

hey can you give me a texture sheet so i can doku texture it for you
Never say no to Panda.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Panda wrote:hey can you give me a texture sheet so i can doku texture it for you
Here's all the textures as they are right now :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?zx1g7sayvzva1ej
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

kaos78414 wrote:
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:no matter how dunk I get I never get hung over. also, the bees look amazing.
Wait a second.. in another post didn't you say you were 17?

You did!
@kaos I am 17. my music choices are what they are because my parents listened to that kind of music, and I ended up falling in love with it.

EDIT: Oh and thank you :)
yes, it is true, I drink under age. occasionally. but I don't smoke, or do drugs... so. um. well. yeah. I think I will wander off now while whistling nonchalantly. *whistles*
:EDIT: emphasis on the rarely. I have gotten drunk twice in the last year. only once was it vomit inducing drunk. and on a more idk... philosophical (?) note. there is really nothing morally wrong with drinking before you are 21. getting drunk, yeah that isn't good, and wasn't a good choice on my part. but drinking to relax with family or what not (which I have done) is really not a bad thing. but yes. my chaotic neutral self has no real problem with it, either in myself or other people. I don't have a drinking "problem" so I will say I am mostly morally in the clear. anyhoo.

this is very much off topic. so sorry kaos I will try to think of something cool to say about your mod.... PAPER WALLS FTW!

*bows* thank you.
And HOW!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I will do my best to restrict myself to saying everyone's views and morals are different, though trying to justify something in the tiny grey area between morals and laws is a weak argument.

So, in this add on so far we have lanterns/fireflies/nets, paper walls, new flowers/trees, and bee keeping and subsidiaries. I don't want to discourage you from persuing this at all, but my feature creep alarm is going off. Don't over extend yourself, kaos.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

morvelaira wrote:So, in this add on so far we have lanterns/fireflies/nets, paper walls, new flowers/trees, and bee keeping and subsidiaries. I don't want to discourage you from persuing this at all, but my feature creep alarm is going off. Don't over extend yourself, kaos.
QFT.

I came over too strongly when I was raising this point earlier, this is a much better way to put it.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

morvelaira wrote:So, in this add on so far we have lanterns/fireflies/nets, paper walls, new flowers/trees, and bee keeping and subsidiaries. I don't want to discourage you from persuing this at all, but my feature creep alarm is going off. Don't over extend yourself, kaos.
Is it that you are worried that I am adding too many features to keep up with? Or as with Poppycocks, that there is too much in the mod and that may turn you away from it in the long run?

Again I should emphasize that the beekeeping will be extremely simple, that it shouldn't take but setting up an enclosure with some trees in it, and capturing a bee or two and you'll have yourself an apiary.

If I list all the features it still doesn't feel like a whole lot to me, and I definitely don't feel like I'm done creating content for the add-on. Creating this add on is kind of addictive in a way - every new thing added leads to an idea for something else.

But I could consider having a config file to disable certain parts of the mod if you are so inclined. I just don't feel like stopping here, as its not enough for me personally. I've got so many ideas. I really feel like I'm just getting started.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I am more worried about you and your workload more than anything else. I know it doesn't seem like enough now, but I would advise going a little slowly until you have some time and experice maintaing it. Better slow and steady than heady and unwieldly. I know it can be exciting. Just be sure :)