BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Husbag3

Re: Working on a BTW addon

Post by Husbag3 »

Anyway, it's nothing a custom texture pack can't fix.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Well with all this flower talk I went ahead and added them - and it's a good thing too because in the process I got to learn a bit about damage values.

The textures could use a little improvement I think. I'll tweak them when I get some more time. In the meantime, here's yet another teaser:
Spoiler
Show

In order of appearance: Vanilla Rose, Vanilla Dandelion, Yucca, Birds of Paradise, Hyacinth, Cornflower, Lavender, and Azaleas. :)
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

Looks truly amazing!

About the water plants & mobs: Perhaps you can limit the spawning of those mobs and if you are deciding to do little changes to world gen anyway, you could limit them to certain biomes. This way you don't have sharks in a river or something.
My idea's of water-life would be koi carps, the idea behind it is that they spawn in every biome but ocean and beach. This way they can can spawn in rivers and in ponds, but not in the ocean. Koi carps may be nice for fish tanks and atmosphere.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Me gusta :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I LOVE the Cornflower and Lavender! They look so good. I also saw one of the trees on my drive home the other day, and I think you nailed the color. Keep up the good work man. Can't wait to see the finished product.

EDIT: can you also update the OP with all the new pics and stuffs you've been giving us for a central place to view them all.
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaspermwh

Post by kaspermwh »

This looks really good :O

Im very excited to see this released :D
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

They make dye? tell me they make dye.

Those flowers are beautiful. As I mentioned in the "Show us your Builds" thread, I have the beautiful little zen bridge that would love to be surrounded by Sakura trees, and I'm getting really bored with red and yellow for flowers.

I've been really picky about my add-mods since update hell, but consider me sold.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

walker_boh_65 wrote:EDIT: can you also update the OP with all the new pics and stuffs you've been giving us for a central place to view them all.
I still have a lot of work to do, and I think I have plenty of time before the increased block IDs get here. But I'll update the OP sometime soon (I just woke up and am feeling somewhat lazy today :P)
TheAnarchitect wrote:They make dye? tell me they make dye.
Well right now there are just placeholder recipes to create them. I just haven't decided how I want the flowers to be acquired yet. Once I do, yes the flowers will be craftable into their associated dye :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yes!

These flowers are going to get their own farm. I'll add a windmill and call it the Low country.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Ugh, I'm having a bit of an issue. I probably should just take a break and the solution would come to me, but I really wanna get this done.

As an addition to the whole net/capturing bugs thing (and this will possibly tie in to the creation of flowers), I wanted to add bees to the mod. Ultimately, beekeeping would net you candles and mead barrels - and maybe some other stuff, still brainstorming. Anyway, I have these honeycombs, which I want to produce both wax and honey. I want to avoid creating a block solely for that purpose, so I thought I'd add the recipes to the mill stone. Unfortunately I don't think I can do that without overwriting a BTW file.

So as a placeholder recipe, I thought I'd just add the ability to place the honeycombs in the crafting grid and have it spit out the two items. But I've stumped myself here, because I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Anyone have any ideas?
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

From what I recall getting 2 or more items out of a crafting grid at the same time wasn't possible. A possible way would be to make the honeycombs a container item with the honey as there contents. Thus when placed in the crafting grid it would return honey and an empty honeycomb which could be further crafted into wax. That is, if it's possible to destroy container items in the crafting grid.

On another note, are you planning on adding ceramic roof tiles?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

HighMongrel wrote:From what I recall getting 2 or more items out of a crafting grid at the same time wasn't possible. A possible way would be to make the honeycombs a container item with the honey as there contents. Thus when placed in the crafting grid it would return honey and an empty honeycomb which could be further crafted into wax. That is, if it's possible to destroy container items in the crafting grid.
I'm not sure if I'd be satisfied with that... It just doesn't feel right. I know there's been mods that have done this in the past, crafting one item would cause another to fall out of the crafting grid - which would work perfectly fine. I'll have to do some research methinks.
HighMongrel wrote:On another note, are you planning on adding ceramic roof tiles?
Simple enough. I like it. Added to the list :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

kaos78414 wrote:So as a placeholder recipe, I thought I'd just add the ability to place the honeycombs in the crafting grid and have it spit out the two items. But I've stumped myself here, because I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Anyone have any ideas?
Would the same problem of having to overwite a BTW file still occur if you had them separate in the stewing pot as well? Melting and separating wax from honey is one of the super old-school ways of doing this in real life.

In the meantime, you could have it turn into one item on the crafting table, while having it turn into the other item on the anvil?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

morvelaira wrote:Would the same problem of having to overwite a BTW file still occur if you had them separate in the stewing pot as well? Melting and separating wax from honey is one of the super old-school ways of doing this in real life.

In the meantime, you could have it turn into one item on the crafting table, while having it turn into the other item on the anvil?
I fixed it actually :)

Now basically if you have room in your inventory the wax has a chance to appear there each time you craft some honey. If your inventory is full it'll pop up near you. Doing this also shined some light on a bug with the net, that if your inventory was full and if you used it on a firefly (unlikely but it could happen), the firefly would disappear but no item would drop. Fixed now though

But if the stewing pot makes more sense I'll move the recipe there. I'm not sure if I can have the stewing pot yield multiple items though, that'll take more looking into.

As to overwriting files, currently I can add recipes to the anvil, the cauldron and the crucible. Maybe when the BTW API rolls around I'll be able to add to the mill stone, hopper and kiln :D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Perhaps make it the difference of stoked or not stoked stewing pots. Wax and honey do have some vastly different melting temperatures, after all.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

morvelaira wrote:Perhaps make it the difference of stoked or not stoked stewing pots. Wax and honey do have some vastly different melting temperatures, after all.
Ah that's a good idea. That'll work perfectly :)

EDIT: Actually reading about it, it looks like beekeepers often just separate the wax from the honey manually. The wax is usually put back, but in our case we'll be using it for candles. So I think it makes perfect sense that it can be done on the crafting table.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Can you add recipies to the saw?
Are you planning to add any new sidings, mouldings and corners, such as glowstone?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

The great randomo wrote:Can you add recipies to the saw?
Are you planning to add any new sidings, mouldings and corners, such as glowstone?
No, unfortunately I can't (at least, it looks like I can't - keep in mind I'm still fairly new to modding). But I don't think I'd want to get much into microblocks anyhow. But we'll see. If it really makes sense somewhere, I'll consider it. :)
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

perhaps paper windmills? For the sake of aesthetics.
Or perhaps dyable planks.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

And I think you should release it as it is. Avoid the clusterfuck effect which could drive away potential users.

As far as beekeeping goes. It sounds fun, but it's a functional part, which you need to spend time on. As opposed to spending time on BTW. "Too much to do", it reminds me of playing BTW with milenaire. You could make candles out of tallow instead.

But in case you still want to follow trough, honey is usually extracted using a honey extractor. The easy/nice way would be to put a honey comb on top of a turntable. Or something to that effect.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

daveboy2000 wrote:Or perhaps dyable planks.
I do plan on adding some way of bleaching or staining planks to get the desired colors. I haven't thought too much about it though.
Poppycocks wrote:And I think you should release it as it is. Avoid the clusterfuck effect which could drive away potential users.

As far as beekeeping goes. It sounds fun, but it's a functional part, which you need to spend time on. As opposed to spending time on BTW. "Too much to do", it reminds me of playing BTW with milenaire. You could make candles out of tallow instead.

But in case you still want to follow trough, honey is usually extracted using a honey extractor. The easy/nice way would be to put a honey comb on top of a turntable. Or something to that effect.
I think in the end this add-on will surmount to a bunch of little mini-activities that reward you with aesthetic, but otherwise worthless blocks. And that's what I wanted when I started jotting down ideas for it. I don't think I will end up with "Too much to do" so much as "Too much to make." I'm not concerned with getting downloads, though I'm pleasantly surprised that people have shown support so far :)

As to the beekeeping, keep in mind all of this is subject to change, but here is what is currently implemented:
Hives (not yet implemented) will drop honeycombs, which will craft into honey and have a 1/3 chance of also giving wax - for simplicity's sake, I'm not going to add a functional block like a press or a honey extractor unless it ties in better with the rest of the mod.

Wax can make candles (two wax and a string on top in a column in the crafting grid)

Honey and a bucket of water in the cauldron yields a Bucket of Mead. Drinking the bucket of mead will cause the confusion potion effect for a pretty long time (have a bucket of milk handy or you're going to vomit IRL from all the spinning)

A bucket of mead crafts into a barrel of mead, which you can then use a glass bottle on to receive a glass of mead. The glass causes the confusion effect as well but for a much shorter duration. For now the barrel of mead has infinite uses. It's real purpose is aesthetic anyway. The crafting recipe is currently: SIS, SMS, SIS, where S is wood siding, I is an iron ingot, and M is a bucket of mead.

I feel like that's simple enough that it doesn't need to be complicated any further, since the end result is so miniscule anyway. The only part left unimplemented is the bees and hives themselves. To keep it from affecting world gen, I'm going to have the bee's spawn the hives themselves. Captured bees will stop being hostile, so that you can farm them fairly easily in a room full of trees. (I'll have it so that the hive block can only spawn under a leaf block).

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

The barrel of mead:
Spoiler
Show
The candle (its main difference from a torch is that it has a dimmer light value, but it can also be placed on tables :D)
Spoiler
Show
And a shot of some of the bottles of mead :D
Spoiler
Show
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I still stand by the idea of putting a honeycomb on top of a turntable to get honey :P.

The barrels are a dream come true, I can't even begin to count how many times I've built an Inn and wished for something like that :).
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Poppycocks wrote:The barrels are a dream come true, I can't even begin to count how many times I've built an Inn and wished for something like that :).
And I think that's the driving thought behind this whole thing. Every time I've built something in minecraft, by the end of it I've got a dozen ideas for blocks of different kinds that would've looked great there. For instance, one of the things I love about the anvil is how great it looks in a blacksmithing area. But after building an area like that, I was thinking of all kinds of things I'd like to have in and around that space. Weapon racks, wall-mounted shields, hay bales, etc. 4096 block ID's aren't enough :P
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

now we have the mead barrels, wouldn't it be an idea to have mugs, to put the mead in? A wooden mug could perhaps be made from wooden corners.
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

The work with this addon is looking out to be fantastic, and I personally have always sought new mods that add candles and honey to MC ever since Nandonalt's beekeeping mod was discontinued.

My hat is off to you sir!

Whenever you choose to release the addon, I'd be happy to put out some 32x32 hd textures for it if anyone is interested. I've already got some for barrels, cherry tree leaves, and a sweet skull candle.
"First immortality... then the bitches."