BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
logorouge

Re: BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

Post by logorouge »

@kaos78414

I'll miss this superb addon, but it's good to hear you'll still be dropping by from times to times.
Many thanks to you for all the work you've done.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I just want to add, since this add-on is going away, a few closing thoughts for other add-on authors.

Kaos' add-on was great not just because of the features he added, but because he paid attention to how he fit them into the game. Each feature built off BTW's tech tree, and off previous features. Real thought and consideration went into the recipes, with an eye towards making things possible to automate. He really took the time and effort to follow FC's example of how to add features. I feel it's important for any add-on to BTW not just to use BTW specific blocks in their recipes, but to really emulate the spirit of BTW. Kaos did an excellent job of this, and I hope further add-on authors can follow his example.

Kaos, you set the bar high.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Thanks everyone! It's cool to see such high praise for it even at its end.

As to releasing the source: I don't think I want to do that, if only because I want to leave open the option of returning to it. However, I wouldn't be upset if someone created their own BTW add-on that used some (or even all) of this one's features. You'd just have to code it yourself :P
TheAnarchitect wrote:-snip-
Well that's a pretty big compliment! Thank you! But I do think that your input helped hugely in that regard. :)
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Kaos, I respect your decision to not release the source code, but I am planning on continuing your amazing work, so how would you feel about people using your textures?
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Long time no updates from you :/ i know the state of everything but like every two or three weeks you would make update (like not addon but at least when you would be able to get your hands on it) because it would be really awesome to see this addon working on 1.3.2 :))
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Dude. A bit of a necro, and read the thread. He said he's not going to update it.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Skwirral

Post by Skwirral »

I have a question! Shocking, I know, but it is kind of a moot point since I'm installing this anyway regardless of the answer. The question is this: will animals that eat wheat be able to eat from the hay bales? I suppose that's a step towards "functional block" so probably not, but it would be kind of an interesting addition.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Eriottosan (A.K.A post right above yours) wrote:Dude. A bit of a necro, and read the thread. He said he's not going to update it.
*cough* *cough*
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

kaos78414 wrote:Thanks everyone! It's cool to see such high praise for it even at its end.

As to releasing the source: I don't think I want to do that, if only because I want to leave open the option of returning to it. However, I wouldn't be upset if someone created their own BTW add-on that used some (or even all) of this one's features. You'd just have to code it yourself :P
TheAnarchitect wrote:-snip-
Well that's a pretty big compliment! Thank you! But I do think that your input helped hugely in that regard. :)
Hey, kaos, I think I might take you up on that offer. I've got the experience to handle most of what you've done, and I have followed a similar philosophy of not messing with currently installed worlds. In fact, I have nothing but respect for what you've done here.

With that in mind, if you still don't object, I may integrate some of the features of your mod once the extended ID's come out. There are some I'd planned already - sakura trees are in my image files, for example, but I never added them because you had already. We'll see what happens.

I should add, some of the features here are just so brillient...Playing through the entire BTW tech tree for the first time in months, I was surprised to remember bleach and wood stains are not native to BTW. I had gotten quite used to them in april/may/june :)
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)