Overviewer for BTW - Siding complete!

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.

Do you use this?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Yes
38%
No
13%
I would if I wasn't playing with myself all of the time.
50%

Total votes: 8
Pfilson

Re: Overviewer for BTW - Now with more mechanical powah!

Post by Pfilson »

Updated code and OP. I added a poll to better help me decide how to distribute the code and try to make it easier for you to get it working.

If you don't understand what i'm asking let me know!
Pfilson

Re: Overviewer for BTW - Github ahoy!

Post by Pfilson »

Updated OP with links to github repo. Now you can download the whole package instead of editing your own files.

At this time there are no executable builds of this so you will need to follow their build instructions to get this running.

If you need help feel free to ask!

Next up: last of the siding and additional blocks.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Resurrecting the thread to see if people are still using this/ interested in updates. I've pretty much finished siding and was trying to get candles in especially for that update when life happened (as well as candles not being as simple as I was hoping).

But I'm back at a point where I can continue tackling this if there is still interest. So please let me know!

Also with the project being on github I'm open to others chipping in if they feel so inclined.

Thanks all!
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Very interested. I've picked up using candles instead of torches for covering flat areas.
Please and thank you.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I always keep my eye on this :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Thanks for the input, I'll try to get the candle changes out this weekend. Also, I'll work on a done/todo list for the github so people can see what needs to be done.
retep998

Post by retep998 »

Likewise, I definitely have an interest in this. It helps me to keep tabs on whats going on around my server.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Just wanted to pop in and say it's not dead, but I need to stop saying an update is coming soon. After the last one my bfs mom had an aneurysm so we have been at the hospital a lot helping her. She has been moved to after care and needs a lot less help now, so some of my free time may be returning.

I did get a rudimentary todo list on github, however it discarded my formatting, so those of you that wanted to take a stab at things are more than welcome.

Thanks all!
Pfilson
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Update! Siding (should be) done. Theres still some texture gaps along some seams but I'm not sure I can do much about it with the way Overviewer sets up its textures.

I also updated the formatting on the todo list (and there is a link in the readme file), so it is at least readable now. I still need to add block ids and damage values for most of the blocks.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Re: Overviewer for BTW - Siding complete!

Post by matty79321 »

Wow, looks good. Now if only I can figure out how to get this to work...
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

matty79321 wrote:Wow, looks good. Now if only I can figure out how to get this to work...
Which part are you having problems with? I may be able to help.

Using a linux/OS X machine is easiest, if you have access to one, but they do have instructions for windows. If you are getting any errors though please post them here or in the git hub Issues area and I'll look into them.

I may do a set of instructions for setting up windows from scratch in the future.. Maybe a video if I can work out a good way to do that.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Building in Windows. The instructions don't seem to work right when I follow them, but I might be missing something. I'm also not used to any sort of code-building environment besides like eclipse and netbeans (both for java), so I have no clue what I'm doing for virtual studio or python, or whatever the heck I'm supposed to be doing.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

matty79321 wrote:Building in Windows. The instructions don't seem to work right when I follow them, but I might be missing something. I'm also not used to any sort of code-building environment besides like eclipse and netbeans (both for java), so I have no clue what I'm doing for virtual studio or python, or whatever the heck I'm supposed to be doing.
Yeah getting into python in windows is not user friendly.. most of the work is done at the command line. ..

Oh!.. I just looked at their instructions and that's a bit nastier than I remember.. If you don't have much experience with VS I would probably do the MinGW setup (http://www.mingw.org/) as it seems a bit simpler and is all done via a shell (but that's just what i am accustomed to).

Seeing that their instructions are lacking more than I remembered I'll try to make some step by step ones in the next few days..
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

Thx man, I'll definitely look into that method when I get the time to.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

The MinGW install is a bit more work than I was expecting. I'm working on instructions to get this going with as little as possible and that is requiring some extra trial and error to figure out.
retep998

Post by retep998 »

After mucking about with python packages for an hour or so, I finally managed to build Overviewer on windows and get it running.

One thing that got me laughing though was

Code: Select all

2014-03-27 10:22:54 E Could not find the file `textures/blocks/dropper_front.png'. Try specifying the
 'texturepath' option in your config file.
So I had to end up using a different texturepack which had support for blocks that are not in BTW.

Also, dirt/grass slabs are rendering pure black. Not sure if that is due to smooth lighting or something else. Stone brick slabs are rendering fine.
Spoiler
Show
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

retep998 wrote:After mucking about with python packages for an hour or so, I finally managed to build Overviewer on windows and get it running.

One thing that got me laughing though was

Code: Select all

2014-03-27 10:22:54 E Could not find the file `textures/blocks/dropper_front.png'. Try specifying the
 'texturepath' option in your config file.
So I had to end up using a different texturepack which had support for blocks that are not in BTW.

Also, dirt/grass slabs are rendering pure black. Not sure if that is due to smooth lighting or something else. Stone brick slabs are rendering fine.
Nice! Glad you got it working.. With Visual Studio?

Which texture pack are you using? I only test with the textures from the minecraft.jar for right now. But yeah you can also just put the file in with a dummy image (or the one from the jar).. I should probably remove things that are removed from BTW, but have more focused on adding blocks first.

The grass slab is a known issue although dirt has tested fine... Grass is supposed to get its color based on biome (so grass in the desert is brown and in the swamp is very green depending on texture pack.) and for some reason the same code they use for grass blocks isn't working for the halfslabs. It's something that will take deeper testing to figure out.
retep998

Post by retep998 »

Pfilson wrote:Nice! Glad you got it working.. With Visual Studio?

Which texture pack are you using? I only test with the textures from the minecraft.jar for right now. But yeah you can also just put the file in with a dummy image (or the one from the jar).. I should probably remove things that are removed from BTW, but have more focused on adding blocks first.

The grass slab is a known issue although dirt has tested fine... Grass is supposed to get its color based on biome (so grass in the desert is brown and in the swamp is very green depending on texture pack.) and for some reason the same code they use for grass blocks isn't working for the halfslabs. It's something that will take deeper testing to figure out.
Yep, Visual Studio 2013.
Had to uninstall my 64-bit python and get 32-bit python instead, find the obscure place where I can get numpy prebuilt, and then deal with getting both the prebuilt and source TIL, and oh god it's such a horrible build process.

That issue came up when I tried to use Pandoku, so I'm using Derivation now instead.
Spoiler
Show
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

BTW (By The Way... cus it gets confusing here)
Using this and its great... thank you!
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

After a few hours I got it running on windows :) Enjoying it quite a bit.
Also I am considering making a tutorial video for this, for those who are interested!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Thanks Sock! All my stuff is on linux and I haven't had to set it up again in ages (it just worked for the most part)... And last time I tried to setup on windows I couldn't find a simple solution as things got a bit mixed up while I made various attempts.

Sorry to all that things have been rather dead on this front. There have been some major changes at work and I've had a lot more to do as a result so my limited fun time has not been spent on code lately.. Although I've been itching to poke at a few of my BTW projects so hopefully I'll make some new progress soon.

The code is all up to date on github for anyone that feels like dabbling/helping with it though. It's written in python and looks like it uses the PIL library for images. Knowing those things may make it easier, however I jumped into it with PERL/PHP as my coding experience and just used the examples and trial and error to figure things out.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Yeah I would be interested in adding more btw features just need to learn how do to it, as I never have really worked with python, but do know my html and css :P

Do you have any tips, or can you lead me in the right way to do some work on this?
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

I'll try to put together a page in the wiki as I don't want to go into code and clutter this up with discussions about it... I'll update this post once I have a link to it.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Basic, probably very basic, guidelines for adding blocks are here: https://github.com/Pfilson/Minecraft-Ov ... ifications. Please open issues or send a message if you have questions or send in merge requests if you have any additions. Especially send a message if you would like more comments added to the very complex blocks for easier understanding what is going on in the various steps.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Thanks man! I will see how far I get with this :D