The Lens is a multipurpose block that functions through focusing a light source into a collimated beam similar to a spot-light. When a light source is placed directly next to its input (the dark side), a beam is created from its output (the diamond side) which can extend up to 128 blocks away if uninterrupted.
While the beam is normally invisible, if it intersects with an object, the light within the beam is reflected off of it, and lights up the area around the object. If the beam collides with a solid block, light will also be projected onto that surface. A Detector Block can "see" this beam as well, which can be very useful in redstone applications.
It can also be used as a light-level detector by pointing it *directly* (in the neighboring block) at the detection surface of a Detector Block, causing any ambient light in the area to be focused to a sufficient degree for the Detector Block to "see" it.
Formerly, the Lens required an Anvil to craft but, as of 4.8942 it was moved lower into the tech tree due to changes in how players go about crafting Soulforged Steel Ingots.
|Name||Ingredients||Input » Output|
|Lens|| Gold Ingots,
- Place a light source directly at the back of the lens to turn on the beam.
- Point a lens directly into a detector block to detect brightness.
- The detector block will turn on whenever the light level at the back of the lens is 8 or higher.
Keep in mind
- The beam of a lens is blocked even by transparent blocks.
- The Lens can only be mined with a pickaxe.