The Gear Box acts as a means of relaying and distributing Mechanical power. It has only one input (the side which has 4 arrows pointing towards a square hole) to which an axle may be attached, but every other side acts as an output to which you may also attach other axles. Mechanical power supplied to the input axle is then relayed to each of the outputs. Applying redstone power to a Gear Box will cause the output gears to disengage, effectively allowing redstone control of mechanical power. You may place a lever directly on the box to control it.
|Name||Ingredients||Input » Output|
Wooden Planks or
Keep in Mind
- Can be rotated by right-clicking on it with an empty hand.
- The input side must face the axle which the Mechanical power will come from. The input side faces you when you place it.
- Redstone power will not create mechanical power in the gearbox but disengage it's gears. (shutting it down, stop the mechanical power)
- Thunderstorms will destroy the first gearbox connected to any Wind Mill unless redstone power is applied to it; if the redstone power is switched off during during the thunderstorm, the gear box breaks immediately. Only 2 gold nuggets (and no redstone dust) are dropped from the destroyed box.
- In many situations building the mechanical power transmission from target to source is much easier than the other way around. e.g. you may place the gear box directly on an axle.